China Justice Observer


EnglishArabicChinese (Simplified)DutchFrenchGermanHindiItalianJapaneseKoreanPortugueseRussianSpanishSwedishHebrewIndonesianVietnameseThaiTurkishMalay

How to Place Your Child for Adoption?

Parents who have unusual difficulties and are unable to support their children may place them out for adoption.

Both biological parents shall place out their children for adoption together. However, if either of the biological parents is unknown or cannot be found, the child may be placed out for adoption by one parent.

If the parents of a minor do not have full civil capacity and may seriously harm the minor, the guardian of the minor may place him/her out for adoption.



Civil Code of China: Part V Marriage and Family (2020): Article 1094, 1095, 1097


Contributors: CJO Staff Contributors Team

Save as PDF

You might also like

China Revises State Secrets Protection Law

China’s national legislature, the National People’s Congress, revised the State Secrets Protection Law to enhance information classification, secrecy in technological innovation, and precise protection of state secrets, effective May 1, 2024.

China Enhances Legal Aid Law Implementation

In November 2023, China’s Supreme People’s Court and other top judicial bodies jointly issued measures to implement the Legal Aid Law, clarifying responsibilities and ensuring parties' rights to legal aid.

China Revises Marine Environment Protection Law

In October 2023, the Standing Committee of the National People's Congress, China's legislature, promulgated the newly revised Marine Environment Protection Law, which imposes stricter regulations on activities in the marine environment and prohibits certain discharges and dumping.