On 22 Sept. 2022, the Standing Committee of the Shanghai Municipal People’s Congress formally adopted the “Shanghai Regulations on Promoting the Development of Artificial Intelligence Industry” (hereinafter referred to as “the Regulations”), which came into effect on 1 Oct. 2022.
The Regulations consists of 72 articles in six chapters, aiming to promote the development of the artificial intelligence (AI) industry.
Here are some key takeaways from the Regulations:
- The development of the AI industry shall be people-oriented, ethical, innovation-driven, and market-based.
- The government will promote the construction and green, low-carbon development of public computing infrastructure.
- The government will strengthen the distribution of computing infrastructure and provide public computing through means such as computing initiatives to help develop AI technologies and industry.
- The government will a) support the design of high-performance smart chips; b) promote the development and application of AI frameworks, intelligent robots, and intelligent network-connected vehicles; and c) encourage the development of drone and unmanned ship industries as well as AI used in medical technologies.
- The government will establish an expert committee on AI-related ethics to demarcate the boundary of AI applications.
- The government will enumerate a list of penalty exemptions for AI-related misdemeanors, so as to lessen the burden of innovation on AI scientists.
Cover Photo by HONG on Unsplash
Contributors: CJO Staff Contributors Team