Adopters shall meet all of the following requirements:
- be without any child or with only one child;
- be capable of raising, educating and protecting the adoptee;
- not suffer from such disease as is medically regarded as unfit for adopting a child; and
- have no illegal or criminal record that is adverse to the healthy growth of the adoptee; and
- have reached the age of 30.
Minors listed below may be adopted:
- orphans bereaved of parents;
- minors whose biological parents cannot be found; or
- children whose biological parents cannot raise them due to unusual difficulties.
The following individuals or institutions shall be entitled to place out children for adoption:
- guardians of an orphan;
- institutions for children's welfare;
- biological parents who are unable to raise their children due to unusual difficulties.
In addition, an adopter without child may adopt two children; while an adopter with children may adopt only one child.
Civil Code of China: Part V Marriage and Family (2020): Article 1093, 1094, 1098, 1099, 1100
Contributors: CJO Staff Contributors Team